Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Winter Break Japan Trip Review (Day 2)

The second day of the Japan trip was touring the 長野 (Nagano) area. The area we were in were mostly filled with Western buildings becuase it was an area where a lot of the foreigners would stay in the early days. We visited an old church in the area and also shopped at the surrounding stores. I came across a store that sells all kinds of stuff about Totoro. Totoro is a character from a famous Japanese anime called となりのトトロ (My Neighbor Totoro) by 宮崎駿 (Miyazaki Hayao). I remember watching it when I was a kid so it brings back a lot of memories going into the store.

After shopping we came to a very famous coffee shop in the area. The coffee shop is called 茜屋珈琲店 (Akaneya Coffee Shop). I was told that this coffee shop was John Lennon's favorite when he was in Japan. I dont like coffee so I ordered red tea and a chocolate cake. I usually dont like sweets but the chocolate cake they have there was really good! The taste matched up really well with the tea.

Lunch for the day was at a British resturant. I felt really strange to be in a British resturant knowing that the trip was in Japan but the food there was good, so I am not complaining! :P I was really full after lunch because my parents are vegetarian and the main course for lunch was pork... I know I didnt have to eat everything but I didnt want to waste the food so... haha... Well, after lunch it was more travelling as there was quite a bit of distance between Nagano and our next destination for the following day.

No comments: